Skip to main content

Towards a Sensation

Last September, I reached out to one of the artists mentioned by Dr. Sara Diamond, during her visit to Singapore for the ArtxTech Canada @SG event. 

His name is Maxime Michaud and he is from Canada.
When I found his website online, I decided to contact him if there would be any chance that I could ask him a view questions about his work.
A few days had passed before I finally got his reply. Surprisingly he was eager to help me out. Even offered to come to Singapore if there is the opportunity. We then emailed back and forth for a bit to discuss the best option for him to share his work.

However, I pitched the idea to my lecturer and I still haven't got any response. Nevertheless, I still asked him a view questions to help me clarify my curiosity.

Attached below is the email I sent to Maxime, including the questions I'm curious about.


Within days, he replied to me that he will try to answer my questions within the next two weeks. He also offered to share his Master's thesis. However, he reminded me that it would be in French and I have to translate all of it to understand more.

The project that I was intrigued is called 'Towards a Sensation' (It might be a miss since it was translated from French). Basically what he did was he experimented with the idea of relaxing – by recording his brainwaves activity and heart rate, translating them to colorful visuals, sound, and vibrations, via complex algorithms.

Here is a short video to show what he was doing.

As I am typing this, I am still waiting for his latest reply. Until then, I can only attach his own website to allow everyone who is interested to learn more about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TouchDesigner Experiment: Audio Reactive Particle Cloud

My second experiment with TouchDesigner is creating this audio-reactive particle visual by following Bileam Tschepe 's tutorial on Youtube. Again, I just followed his tutorial step by step. This tutorial is a little different because it uses both audio and visuals. The visual follows the music in real-time. Other than audio, we are also introduced with the element 'Math' to add the channels of the audio together. This is the end product. Music is FriendsV2 by Muskatt.

TouchDesigner Experiment: Inserting OSC data with OSCIn

From one of my last experiment , I tried to change the data input. Instead of using audio, I replaced it with OSC data from my Muse headset. To connect your OSC device to TouchDesigner, make sure that the IP address and port number is the same so the data transfer can be accurate. In this case, I use a third-party app called Mind Monitor (available on iOS devices) to connect my Muse headset to the TouchDesigner software. Below are screenshots and videos from my experiment. You can see that the brainwave data is already recorded in real-time in the software. Then I used the alpha, beta, and theta brainwave to change the movement of the visuals (the chosen brainwave data I used are just placeholders for now to see the movement). Then the data is connected with 'noise', which is like the fluid/abstract visuals you see on the background. I also set the colors to be moving/changing over time.

Designing the final project's visual in TouchDesigner

When creating the visuals for my final project, I was inspired by a 'Spectrum to TOPs' tutorial created by Bileam Tschepe on Youtube (I did a post about it here ). The tutorial teaches the audiences explicitly to convert an audio spectrum directly to TOPs using the CHOP to TOP and compositing. Since Bileam Tschepe used audio as the source information for the visuals, I changed the former portion of the tutorial from audio data into OSC data (blog post  here ). Since OSC and Audio data are in the CHOP section, and to create visuals are in the TOP section, a 'CHOP to TOP' node is required. Initially, the node is represented by one pixel high and in black and white; to adjust it, simply change the data format if necessary (for the color), and adding a composite node changes the pixel size. A Noise node is added because it is responsible for the output resolution of the project. The Noise node is also where the author attaches the OSC data in the transform section. This all...