Skip to main content

Ristiaallokko: Interactive Artwork using Muse

Searching for more pieces of information and references for my Research and Development subject is hard because making brainwave art into reality needs a lot of expertise in brainwave reading and EEG use knowledge, and to have an at least basic information of how to code the create the right algorithms, etc.

What makes it another struggle is that I honestly don't really know where and what to search for.
So far, I'm still waiting for the email reply from Mr. Michaud about the inquiries I asked last week.
I've also been searching for project examples people uploaded online that are similar to what I am doing.

I've found this project uploaded by laurames on Github.
The project is called Ristiaallokko | Cross Waves

Cross Waves is a sea state that occurs when two or more nonparallel wave systems meet. The waves generated by this phenomenon are dangerous to swimmers, boats, and ships caught between the crossing waves.

Cross Waves is also the name of the Spring exhibition of Aalto Media Lab students. It is an exhibition that highlights 13 new interactive artworks that have been created in the meeting point of art and technology. The exhibition is divided into two locations within the former Lapinlahti Psychiatric Hospital area: Mental Museum Pop-Up Gallery and the Venetsia building.

Ristiaallokko | Cross Waves exhibition is the outcome of the Interactive Art course taught by Matti Niinimäki in Aalto University. The aim of the course is to explore the notion of interaction within the context of new media art.


This is an interactive artwork using the Muse2014 headband. The artwork is built on top of MuseIO to access data and Muse command line tools to send data via OSC to OpenFrameWorks.
A landscape of people's thoughts.

The signal is a collaborative artwork that builds a landscape from the EEG collected from individuals’ current mental state. The thoughts are collected while the person is viewing the artwork.


A person will use the EEG headband, and the headband will translate the person's human brainwave and projects an abstract image as the picture shown above.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TouchDesigner Experiment: Audio Reactive Particle Cloud

My second experiment with TouchDesigner is creating this audio-reactive particle visual by following Bileam Tschepe 's tutorial on Youtube. Again, I just followed his tutorial step by step. This tutorial is a little different because it uses both audio and visuals. The visual follows the music in real-time. Other than audio, we are also introduced with the element 'Math' to add the channels of the audio together. This is the end product. Music is FriendsV2 by Muskatt.

TouchDesigner Experiment: Inserting OSC data with OSCIn

From one of my last experiment , I tried to change the data input. Instead of using audio, I replaced it with OSC data from my Muse headset. To connect your OSC device to TouchDesigner, make sure that the IP address and port number is the same so the data transfer can be accurate. In this case, I use a third-party app called Mind Monitor (available on iOS devices) to connect my Muse headset to the TouchDesigner software. Below are screenshots and videos from my experiment. You can see that the brainwave data is already recorded in real-time in the software. Then I used the alpha, beta, and theta brainwave to change the movement of the visuals (the chosen brainwave data I used are just placeholders for now to see the movement). Then the data is connected with 'noise', which is like the fluid/abstract visuals you see on the background. I also set the colors to be moving/changing over time.

Designing the final project's visual in TouchDesigner

When creating the visuals for my final project, I was inspired by a 'Spectrum to TOPs' tutorial created by Bileam Tschepe on Youtube (I did a post about it here ). The tutorial teaches the audiences explicitly to convert an audio spectrum directly to TOPs using the CHOP to TOP and compositing. Since Bileam Tschepe used audio as the source information for the visuals, I changed the former portion of the tutorial from audio data into OSC data (blog post  here ). Since OSC and Audio data are in the CHOP section, and to create visuals are in the TOP section, a 'CHOP to TOP' node is required. Initially, the node is represented by one pixel high and in black and white; to adjust it, simply change the data format if necessary (for the color), and adding a composite node changes the pixel size. A Noise node is added because it is responsible for the output resolution of the project. The Noise node is also where the author attaches the OSC data in the transform section. This all...