Skip to main content

Connecting Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz with your Arduino Uno

So I want to try the Thinker Blinker project from my previous post. As mentioned, they use an Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz. So hence that is what I bought.



Since I already have my Arduino Uno, I wanted to just use it to program my ProMini instead of having to buy USB to serial converter. Basically, the ProMini will act as the IC board of the Uno, which is the board crucial to make the Uno running. After searching the tutorial on how to connect your ProMini to your Uno, it turns out it is pretty simple. I found someone that created the tutorial here.

Step 1:
Remove the IC from the Arduino Uno board. This is important because we have to 'incapacitate' the Uno so that all the 'power' will go to the ProMini.


Now we just have to connect the Uno to the ProMini. I'm using a solderless breadboard to help me do this because it allows me to join other external components like an LED bulb, etc. to try whether the codes actually work.


Step 2: Connect the Cables
Using an F/M Jumper Cable, connect the 5V pin on the Uno to the VCC pin on the ProMini.

Using another F/M Jumper Cable, connect the GND pin on the Uno to the GND pin on the ProMini.

Using another F/M Jumper Cable, connect the TX->1 pin on the Uno to the TX0 pin on the ProMini.

Using another F/M Jumper Cable, connect the RX pin on the Uno to the RXI pin on the ProMini.

Using another M/M Jumper Cable, connect the RESET pin on the Uno to the RST pin on the ProMini. The reason why I used an M/M cable instead of the F/M is that I attached the ProMini to the breadboard, and therefore I cannot attach the ProMini with the F/M cable.

Now that everything is attached, Arduino Uno to your computer. You will notice that the ProMini will start blinking. And to test out if it actually works, just click on the button on the ProMini. If it is successfully connected, the light will turn off when the button is pressed.

Step 3:
Then the next thing to do is to change the settings on the Arduino Software.

Click on the Tools option on the options bar.
Then find the Boards option, and pick the Arduino Pro or Pro Mini.
Change the Processor option as well, pick the right specs according to the Arduino Pro Mini you are using. Since I'm using the ProMini 328 -5v,16MHz, I'll be choosing the ATmega328P (5V,16MHz).

Once everything is set up accordingly, your Arduino Pro Mini can function as normally as your Arduino Uno!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TouchDesigner Experiment: Audio Reactive Particle Cloud

My second experiment with TouchDesigner is creating this audio-reactive particle visual by following Bileam Tschepe 's tutorial on Youtube. Again, I just followed his tutorial step by step. This tutorial is a little different because it uses both audio and visuals. The visual follows the music in real-time. Other than audio, we are also introduced with the element 'Math' to add the channels of the audio together. This is the end product. Music is FriendsV2 by Muskatt.

TouchDesigner Experiment: Inserting OSC data with OSCIn

From one of my last experiment , I tried to change the data input. Instead of using audio, I replaced it with OSC data from my Muse headset. To connect your OSC device to TouchDesigner, make sure that the IP address and port number is the same so the data transfer can be accurate. In this case, I use a third-party app called Mind Monitor (available on iOS devices) to connect my Muse headset to the TouchDesigner software. Below are screenshots and videos from my experiment. You can see that the brainwave data is already recorded in real-time in the software. Then I used the alpha, beta, and theta brainwave to change the movement of the visuals (the chosen brainwave data I used are just placeholders for now to see the movement). Then the data is connected with 'noise', which is like the fluid/abstract visuals you see on the background. I also set the colors to be moving/changing over time.

Designing the final project's visual in TouchDesigner

When creating the visuals for my final project, I was inspired by a 'Spectrum to TOPs' tutorial created by Bileam Tschepe on Youtube (I did a post about it here ). The tutorial teaches the audiences explicitly to convert an audio spectrum directly to TOPs using the CHOP to TOP and compositing. Since Bileam Tschepe used audio as the source information for the visuals, I changed the former portion of the tutorial from audio data into OSC data (blog post  here ). Since OSC and Audio data are in the CHOP section, and to create visuals are in the TOP section, a 'CHOP to TOP' node is required. Initially, the node is represented by one pixel high and in black and white; to adjust it, simply change the data format if necessary (for the color), and adding a composite node changes the pixel size. A Noise node is added because it is responsible for the output resolution of the project. The Noise node is also where the author attaches the OSC data in the transform section. This all...